Are you a test manager estimating a new software or systems test project? Here's a list of ten factors that will make the testing cost more, take longer, or both.
- Complexity (process, project, technology, organization, test environment, etc.).
- Lots of test, quality, or project stakeholders.
- Many subteams, especially geographically separated,
- Need to ramp-up, train, and orient growing team.
- Need to assimilate or develop new testing tools, techniques, technologies.
- Custom hardware.
- Need to develop new test systems, especially automated testware.
- Need to develop highly detailed, unambiguous test cases (a.k.a., scripts and procedures).
- Tricky timing of component arrival, especially for integration testing and test development
- Fragile test data (e.g., time-sensitive)
Don't forget about these factors when you do your estimate. Just one of these factors can cause some real pain and suffering when the consequences arise.